With the many foods we eat there is much that can go unnoticed, but getting dental radiography (x-ray) at the best dental clinic in Abuja can assist in spotting potential problems and give your dentist the right information to keep your teeth free of any hidden issues or problems.
Dental x-rays are an important part of any dental care treatment plan as they provide additional information that the dentist cannot see during a visual examination. They provide vital information in establishing a diagnosis and are vital for preventive care by assisting the dentist to identify potential oral health issues in a patient’s mouth before they become a major problem.
These x-rays are used with low levels of radiation to capture the images of the teeth and surrounding structures.
At Bellevue the best dental clinic in Abuja, you will find two types of dental x-rays – Intra-oral x-ray and Extra-oral x-ray.
This is the most common type of dental x-ray. In this case, the x-ray film is placed in the mouth of the patient to provide detailed information about the tooth and the surrounding bone in a localized area. Examples of Intra-oral x-rays include:
They are commonly used to:
- Identify caries
- Examine the health of the supporting structures of a tooth
- Verify the status of developing teeth
- Detect the location of impacted canines
- Examine the anatomy of dental roots and detect root fractures
- Identify the number of root canals
This is a diagram of a periapical x-ray showing a developing cyst around the apices of the root in an otherwise healthy patient. This could not be revealed by physical oral examination alone.
For extra-oral radiography, x-rays are taken with the film outside the mouth to obtain information on the jaw and the skull. This class of x-rays does not provide detailed information on a tooth-like intraoral x-rays but they cover a wider area of the jaw.
Examples of this type of x-ray include:
-Cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT).
They are commonly used to;
- Monitor the growth and development of the jaw.
- Monitor the spaces available for unerupted teeth.
- Detect impacted teeth and degree of impaction.
- Trace the relationship of the teeth to the nerves and jawbones.
- Detect cyst, tumors, and abscesses in the jawbone
- Detect temporomandibular joints defects.
- Detect facial bone abnormalities.
- Detect location of salivary gland stones.
This is a section of a Panoramic x-ray showing a developing Cancer in the lower jaw, in an otherwise healthy patient. This could not be revealed by physical oral examination alone.
The use of an X-rays gives a dentist a clearer view of what going in and beneath the tooth of a patient and can help in the detection of cavities, gum disease, and oral infections. At Bellevue Dental the best dental clinic in Abuja, the patient will be advised on the applicable type of dental x-ray to be used following an oral examination, all of which will aid the dentist in making an accurate diagnosis of the state of the patient’s teeth.